The Governor and Legislative leaders have reached agreement on the 2011-12 State Budget. Here is a summary on how funding for early care and learning issues fared:
- Early Intervention (EI): Provider rate reduction of 5% across the board starting April 1, 2011.
- Child care subsidy funding held at 2010-11 levels for 2011-12.
- Clearance fees (SCR’s)will increase from $5 to $25 (other information regarding exemptions or renewals not available at this point).
- Advantage AfterSchool: $17.2 M General Fund maintained and $500,000 in TANF funds restored.
- Prekindergarten (Pre-K) was funded at $384 million for 2011-12 and 2012-13.
- Primary Mental Health Project for school age children – fully restored.
- Healthy Families New York home visiting program funding was fully restored at $23,288,200.
- COPS was funded at $12,124,000 (2010-11 amount: $24,249,500) – at 50% this includes home visiting for Nurse Family Partnership funding.
- TANF funding for the Nurse-Family Partnership ($2 million) was NOT restored.
Thanks to all who advocated in support of early care and learning this budget season — your advocacy made a difference! While we have an uphill battle to stay solid for this coming year, we have not experienced the cuts of many other programs.
RAEYC Public Policy Chair